- Decide what type of cannabis extract you want to make
- Choose your cannabis strain
- Gather your materials
- Prepare your cannabis
- Extract the THC or CBD from the cannabis
- Store your cannabis extract
A cannabis extract is a potent, concentrated form of cannabis that contains many of the plant’s resins and terpenes. Learn how to make your own cannabis extract with this step-by-step guide.
Checkout this video:
Decide what type of cannabis extract you want to make
There are many different types of cannabis extracts, each with its own set of benefits and drawbacks. The most popular types of cannabis extracts are Rick Simpson Oil (RSO), CBD oil, and THC oil. Each type of oil has its own unique set of properties that make it ideal for certain medical conditions. You should decide what type of cannabis extract you want to make based on your needs.
Decide what type of equipment you will need to make your extract
To make cannabis extract, you will need some basic supplies. First, you will need a cannabis grinder. This can be a simple hand grinder or a more complex electric grinder. Second, you will need a way to heat the cannabis. This can be done with a stovetop or an electric heating element. Finally, you will need something to collect the extract, such as a glass jar or container.
Once you have gathered your supplies, decided what type of extract you want to make, and chosen your equipment, you are ready to get started!
Choose your cannabis strain
You want to make sure you pick a cannabis strain that is high in CBD and low in THC for your first extract.
Consider the THC and CBD levels of your chosen strain
Cannabis contains hundreds of compounds, including over 100 cannabinoids. The two most well-known cannabinoids are THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol).
THC is the compound in cannabis that gets users high. It binds to CB1 receptors in the brain and produces psychoactive effects. CBD does not bind to CB1 receptors and does not produce a high. Some strains of cannabis contain high levels of THC and low levels of CBD, while other strains contain low levels of THC and high levels of CBD.
The THC and CBD levels of your chosen strain will determine the effects of the cannabis extract. If you want a cannabis extract that makes you feel high, choose a strain with high THC levels. If you want a cannabis extract that does not make you feel high, choose a strain with low THC and high CBD levels.
Gather your materials
You’ll need a cannabis plant, some form of alcohol, a coffee filter, a funnel, and a jar. You’ll also need a way to measure the THC content of your final product. You can use a THC test kit, or you can send your extract to a lab for testing.
Make sure you have enough of the chosen cannabis strain
If you plan on making a medium to large batch of cannabis extract, then you will need at least an ounce of good quality cannabis. More is better, but an ounce should be enough to get started. Be sure to decarboxylate your cannabis before continuing.
Prepare your cannabis
If you’re interested in making your own cannabis extract, there are a few things you’ll need to do first. You’ll need to gather your supplies , including cannabis, a solvent, and some type of container. You’ll also need to decarboxylate your cannabis, which will make the THC more active. Once you’ve done all of that, you’re ready to start extracting THC from your cannabis.
Grind the cannabis into a fine powder
Grind the cannabis into a fine powder using a grinder, coffee grinder, or blender. If your blend features stems and leaves, it’s best to remove them before grinding as they can make the process more difficult. Once the cannabis is ground, spread it out on a baking sheet and bake in an oven at 240°F (115°C) for 30-40 minutes. This process , known as decarboxylation or “decarbing,” will activate the THC in the plant material and prepare it for infusion.
Extract the THC or CBD from the cannabis
Cannabis extract can be made in many ways but the most common is by using either alcohol or CO2. This how-to guide will show you the necessary steps to take in order to make a high-quality cannabis extract using CO2.
Use a solvent to extract the THC or CBD from the cannabis
The solvent you’ll need to use depends on which type of cannabis extract you want to make. If you’re looking to make an oil or butter with high concentrations of THC or CBD, you’ll need a more potent solvent like butane or Isopropyl alcohol. If you want to make a lower-concentration extract for cooking, any food-safe solvent will do.
Once you’ve chosen your solvent, it’s time to start extracting. The process is relatively simple:
1. Grind your cannabis flowers into a coarse powder using a coffee grinder or herb grinder.
2. Place the cannabis in a glass jar and pour in your chosen solvent until the cannabis is completely submerged.
3. Close the jar tightly and shake it vigorously for several minutes. This will help to ensure that all of the cannabinoids are extracted from the plant material.
4. Set the jar in a warm, dark place and allow it to sit for at least 24 hours (longer is better). This will give the solvents time to fully extract the cannabinoids from the plant material.
5. After 24 hours (or longer), carefully open the jar and pour off the solvent-cannabis mixture into a bowl or other container. Try not to disturb the plant matter that has settled at the bottom of the jar too much, as this can introduce impurities into your extract.
6. Place the bowl containing the mixture in a freezer and allow it to cool for several hours (overnight is best). This will cause the cannabinoids to separate from the solvent and collect in Iceland are ideal for this purpose). The longer you wait, the more pure your final product will be, but there is a tradeoff—if you wait too long, some of the cannabinoids may begin to crystallize out of solution, making your extract less potent overall.) When finished, your mixture should look something like this:
Store your cannabis extract
Once you have made your cannabis extract, it is important to store it properly so that it does not degrade. Store your cannabis extract in a dark, cool, and dry place. An airtight container is also ideal. You can store your cannabis extract in the refrigerator or freezer if you prefer.
Store your cannabis extract in a cool, dark place
Cannabis extract can be stored in a cool, dark place for up to six months. If you need to store it for longer, it can be stored in the freezer for up to a year.